CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team saw its 2017-18 season draw to a close on Wednesday afternoon, falling to Washington College by a 5-1 score in the First Round of the Centennial Conference (CC) Tournament.
The Diplomats ranked No. 14 in the Atlantic South region, finished with a 9-8 record on the year while the Shorewomen, ranked No. 18 in the Atlantic South region, improved to 13-5 and advanced to Saturday's CC Semifinal matchup against Johns Hopkins.
By the Numbers
Despite the final score, it was F&M who jumped out to an early 1-0 lead off an 8-4 victory by the No. 2 doubles duo of Gavriel Rubenstein and Stefana Vujinovic. However, Washington closed out doubles play with a pair of wins, before securing straight-set victories at No.'s 1, 2 and 5 singles to clinch the victory.
1. Julie Lazer/Rachel Martinez (WC) def. Sarah Haas/Allison Wolters (FMCW) 8-2
2. Gavriel Rubenstein/Stefana Vujinovic (FMCW) def. Krista Filiopoulos/Sarah Bruno (WC) 8-4
3. Ella Samer/Riley Katzman (WC) def. Marissa Witmer/Emma Wu (FMCW) 8-5
1. Julie Lazer (WC) def. Allison Wolters (FMCW) 6-2, 6-0
2. Rachel Martinez (WC) def. Sarah Haas (FMCW) 6-1, 6-0
3. Krista Filiopoulos (WC) vs. Gavriel Rubenstein (FMCW) 1-6, 5-3, unfinished
4. Ella Samer (WC) vs. Emma Wu (FMCW) 6-2, 3-4, unfinished
5. Sarah Bruno (WC) def. Alex Collins (FMCW) 6-3, 6-3
6. Kiran Pant (WC) vs. Alex D'Angelo (FMCW) 4-6, 6-1, unfinished
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (1,2,5)