LANCASTER, Pa. – A sweep in doubles action, followed by nail-biting wins in singles competition resulted in a 7-2 non-conference win for Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team against Juniata on Tuesday afternoon in Lancaster.
The Diplomats improved to 6-10 with the victory while the Eagles fell to 9-7.
By the Numbers
Four singles matchups were decided by the super tiebreaker with F&M going 3-1 in those contests. Sarah Haas (No. 2) battled back from an opening set loss with a 6-4 victory in the second set to force the tiebreaker, which she won handily at 10-5.
Gavriel Rubenstein's straight-set decision (6-1, 6-2) at No. 3 marked her fifth consecutive win and seventh in her last 10 singles matchups.
Tuesday's result was the Diplomats first non-conference win since Feb. 20 against Va. Wesleyan (8-0).
1. Tara Buchney (F&MW) def. Lauren Lucas (JCWTEN) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Sarah Haas (F&MW) def. Rachel Yurchisin (JCWTEN) 5-7, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Gavriel Rubenstein (F&MW) def. Katharine Conklin (JCWTEN) 6-1, 6-2
4. Samantha Hendricks (JCWTEN) def. Allysan Breece (F&MW) 6-4, 5-7, 1-0 (10-4)
5. Alexandra Collins (F&MW) def. Tori Gray (JCWTEN) 6-4, 3-6, 1-0 (11-9)
6. Vienna Cordier (JCWTEN) def. Jingzi Wu (F&MW) 8-5
1. Tara Buchney/Sarah Haas (F&MW) def. Rachel Yurchisin/Katharine Conklin (JCWTEN) 8-6
2. Allysan Breece/Gavriel Rubenstein (F&MW) def. Lauren Lucas/Samantha Hendricks (JCWTEN) 9-7
F&M returns to CC play tomorrow, hosting Gettysburg at 4:00 p.m for its final home match of the regular season.