LANCASTER, Pa. – Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team battled No. 12 Johns Hopkins on Tuesday afternoon in its home opener but ultimately fell by a 9-0 score in Centennial Conference (CC) competition.
The defeat dropped the Diplomats to 2-9, 1-2 CC on the year while the Blue Jays improved to 7-2, 2-0 CC.
By the Numbers
The duo of Sarah Haas and Tara Buchney fought hard at No. 2 doubles and were narrowly edged out by a 9-7 tally. Freshman Alexandra Collins continued her strong play by splitting the first two sets in her matchup at the No. 6 singles position, however, Johns Hopkins Amanda Soo Ping Chow captured the contest with a 10-5 score in the super tiebreaker.
1. Ashnaa Rao (JHUW) def. Nicole Russo (F&MW) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jody Law (JHUW) def. Tara Buchney (F&MW) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kimberly Zou (JHUW) def. Sarah Haas (F&MW) 6-0, 6-0
4. Mikey Barthelmass (JHUW) def. Emily Gruenberg (F&MW) 6-2, 6-3
5. Anna Kankanala (JHUW) def. Gavriel Rubenstein (F&MW) 6-2, 6-1
6. Amanda Soo Ping Chow (JHUW) def. Alexandra Collins (F&MW) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0 (10-5)
1. Ashnaa Rao/Mikey Barthelmass (JHUW) def. Nicole Russo/Emily Gruenberg (F&MW) 8-3
2. Jody Law/Kimberly Zou (JHUW) def. Sarah Haas/Tara Buchney (F&MW) 9-7
3. Anna Kankanala/Amanda Soo Ping Chow (JHUW) def. Gavriel Rubenstein/Allysan Breece (F&MW) 8-4
Order of Finish
Doubles (1,3,2), Singles (3,5,2,1,4,6)
F&M continues a three-match home stand on Thursday, welcoming Juniata to Lancaster for a 4:00 p.m. non-conference contest.