CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team suffered an 8-1 setback against No. 40 Washington College on Saturday afternoon in Centennial Conference (CC) competition.
The Diplomats dropped to 2-7, 1-1 CC with the defeat while the Shorewomen continued to roll at 6-2, 3-0 CC.
By the Numbers
F&M's lone win on the day came in doubles action when the duo of Allysan Breece and Gavriel Rubenstein (No. 3) combined for a narrow 8-6 victory. Emily Gruenberg and Nicole Russo forced extra points at the No. 1 spot but came up short 9-7.
A pair of matches went to the super tiebreaker in singles, however, Washington earned the win in each of the six matchups.
1. April Weaver (WC) def. Nicole Russo (F&MW) 6-2, 6-4
2. Julie Lazer (WC) def. Tara Buchney (F&MW) 5-7, 6-1, 10-3
3. Rachel Martinez (WC) def. Sarah Haas (F&MW) 6-0, 6-1
4. Krista Filiopoulos (WC) def. Emily Gruenberg (F&MW) 4-6, 6-1, 10-2
5. Blair Kang (WC) def. Gavriel Rubenstein (F&MW) 6-2, 6-3
6. MP Hubert (WC) def. Alexandra Collins (F&MW) 7-6 (9-7), 7-5
1. April Weaver/Marielle McIntyre (WC) def. Emily Gruenberg/Nicole Russo (F&MW) 9-7
2. Rachel Martinez/Julie Lazer (WC) def. Sarah Haas/Tara Buchney (F&MW) 8-2
3. Allysan Breece/Gavriel Rubenstein (F&MW) def. Krista Filiopoulos/MP Hubert (WC) 8-6
Order of Finish
Doubles (2,3,1), Singles (1,3,4,2,5,6)
The Diplomats return to non-conference action tomorrow, traveling to No. 18 Mary Washington for an 11:00 a.m. matchup.