ALLENTOWN, Pa. – A sweep in doubles competition proved to be the difference in Franklin & Marshall's 6-3 win over Muhlenberg on Wednesday afternoon in women's tennis competition.
The Centennial Conference (CC) opener brought the Diplomats to 2-6, 1-0 CC while the Mules fell to 1-4, 0-2 CC.
By The Numbers
The doubles duo of Tara Buchney and Sarah Haas battled back from a 5-0 deficit at the No. 1 spot to earn a clutch 9-7 win. In singles play, Alexandra Collins continued her strong start to her freshman season with a straight-set victory at No. 6 to improve to 7-1 on the year. Emily Gruenberg (No. 4) and Gavriel Rubenstein (No. 5) also won in straight sets.
F&M has now earned three straight victories against Muhlenberg, dating back to the 2013 season.
1. Sara Finger (MUHL) def. Nicole Russo (F&MW) 6-3, 6-2
2. Jamie Rosenblum (MUHL) def. Tara Buchney (F&MW) 6-2, 6-1
3. Hannah Molk (MUHL) def. Sarah Haas (F&MW) 6-3, 6-3
4. Emily Gruenberg (F&MW) def. Brittany Gould (MUHL) 7-5, 6-0
5. Gavriel Rubenstein (F&MW) def. Meghan Olsen (MUHL) 6-1, 6-2
6. Alexandra Collins (F&MW) def. Jenny Levenson (MUHL) 6-1, 6-1
1. Tara Buchney/Sarah Haas (F&MW) def. Sara Finger/Hannah Molk (MUHL) 9-7
2. Gavriel Rubenstein/Allysan Breece (F&MW) def. Jamie Rosenblum/Meghan Olsen (MUHL) 8-0
3. Emily Gruenberg/Sydney Fass (F&MW) def. Brittany Gould/Jenny Levenson (MUHL) 8-4
The Diplomats continue CC play on the road this Saturday, traveling to Washington for a 1:00 p.m. start.