ORLANDO, Fla. – Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team dropped a heartbreaking 5-4 match against RPI on Monday afternoon in Orlando, Fla.
The loss brought the Diplomats' record to 1-4 on the season, while the Engineers improved to 3-3.
By the Numbers
Tied at 4-4, the final match came down to one of three singles' super tiebreakers on the day when Emily Gruenberg was narrowly edged 11-9 in her third set. F&M was victorious in the other two singles matchups that went the distance with Tara Buchney (No. 2) and Alexandra Collins (No. 6) each registering a hard-fought win.
Monday's matchup marked the first in program history between the two schools.
1. Nicole Russo (F&MW) def. Emily Laurilliard (RPI_WT) 6-4, 6-0
2. Tara Buchney (F&MW) def. Maria Salmon (RPI_WT) 4-6, 6-0, 1-0 (10-5)
3. Melanie Frank (RPI_WT) def. Sarah Haas (F&MW) 6-3, 6-3
4. Andrea Valencia (RPI_WT) def. Emily Gruenberg (F&MW) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Pooja Ganesh (RPI_WT) def. Allysan Breece (F&MW) 6-0, 6-3
6. Alexandra Collins (F&MW) def. Mailani Neal (RPI_WT) 4-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-8)
1. Emily Laurilliard/Melanie Frank (RPI_WT) def. Nicole Russo/Emily Gruenberg (F&MW) 8-2
2. Tara Buchney/Sarah Haas (F&MW) def. Maria Salmon/Andrea Valencia (RPI_WT) 8-4
3. Mailani Neal/Nisha Rajamohan (RPI_WT) def. Allysan Breece/Gavriel Rubenstein (F&MW) 8-4
Order of Finish
Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (3,1,2,5,6,4)
Spring break continues tomorrow with a 9:00 a.m. matchup against Connecticut College.