F&M Downs Rochester in PKs; Moves on to Sweet 16

F&M Downs Rochester in PKs; Moves on to Sweet 16

LANCASTER, Pa. – With the score knotted at 2-2 following a pair of overtimes and 110 minutes of play, the No. 15 Franklin & Marshall men's soccer team rose to the occasion in penalty kicks, taking down Rochester by a 4-2 score to advance into its second straight Sweet 16. The Diplomats (16-1-3) move on to face No. 3 SUNY Oneonta on Saturday, while the Yellow Jackets (10-5-4) season came to a close.

Sam Lane opened up the shootout with a goal to put F&M ahead 1-0, before Rochester's Ben Keeton snuck one by Trevor Britton to tie it up at 1-1. After Jeremy Levine found the back of the net for a 2-1 lead, Britton responded with a diving save to his right to preserve the advantage. Matthew Landy came up with a huge tally for the 3-1 lead, followed by makes from the Yellow Jacket's Keith Grafmeyer and the Diplomats' Conor Pellas to put F&M on the verge of a win. 

Needing a save to send the Diplomats into the next round, Britton came up with perhaps the biggest stop of his career, making a spectacular diving save to his right to seal the victory. 

To watch a video highlight of Britton's save, click here

Rochester notched the first score of the contest just 11 minutes into the game, when a Yellow Jacket corner deflected off an F&M defender in the box and was hit in to the top left of the goal. 

Chris Scott responded just six minutes later, tallying his second goal over the weekend. Levine sent a corner into the box that Max Watson headed over to Scott, who sent a header of his own past the Rochester keeper. 

In the second, a long throw in from Janse Schermerhorn from the right side found the head of Scott who sent the ball over to Chase TenBrook on the left of the box for the late 2-1 advantage in the 81st minute. 

The Yellow Jackets refused to go away, answering just three minutes later when a cross from the left of the field found Ben Swanger from 15 yards out, who rocketed a shot into the right of the goal to even it up at 2-2. Rochester put on pressure in both overtime periods but the F&M defense held strong to send the game to penalty kicks. 

The shot count belonged to the Yellow Jackets at 18-17, including a 4-1 margin through both overtime stanzas, while the Diplomats held a narrow 6-5 edge on corners. Britton (16-1-3) stopped six of the eight shots he faced, while Rochester's Michael Shatkin (10-5-4) was equally impressive with six saves of his own. 

With the win, F&M advances into next weekend's Sweet 16 matchup with No. 2 SUNY Oneonta, who moved on with a 2-0 shutout of Nichols earlier in the day. Check back with GoDiplomats.com later in the week for game time and additional information on Saturday's matchup.