CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team wrapped up its regular season with a clutch 6-3 victory over Washington on Saturday afternoon in Centennial Conference (CC) competition.
With the win, the Diplomats (12-4, 8-2 CC) secured a first-round bye in the upcoming CC Tournament as the No. 3 seed, while the Shorewomen (10-7, 6-4 CC) will head into the Playoffs as the No. 5 seed.
As the No. 3 seed, F&M will travel to take on No. 2 Swarthmore next Saturday. That contest will either take place at Swarthmore, or at the tournament's No. 1 seed, Johns Hopkins in Baltimore. Check back with GoDiplomats.com early next week for further details.
By the Numbers
The Diplomats, who are ranked at No. 11 in the Atlantic South Region, went into singles play with a 2-1 advantage after their No. 2 and 3 duos produced 8-4 decisions. Holding onto a narrow 4-3 edge in singles, Gavriel Rubenstein's 6-1, 6-1 straight-set decision at No. 5 sealed the match for F&M.
Each the six singles matchups were decided in straight sets. The Diplomats win over Washington snapped a three-match winless streak against the Shorewomen, dating back to 2014.
2. Sarah Haas/C.J Rummelsburg (FMCW) def. Krista Filiopoulos/MP Hubert (WC) 8-4
1. Julie Lazer (WC) def. Allison Wolters (FMCW) 6-0, 6-4
2. Nicole Russo (FMCW) def. Rachel Martinez (WC) 6-1, 6-3
3. Krista Filiopoulos (WC) def. Sarah Haas (FMCW) 6-2, 7-5
4. C.J. Rummelsburg (FMCW) def. MP Hubert (WC) 6-2, 6-0
5. Gavriel Rubenstein (FMCW) def. Kiran Pant (WC) 6-1, 6-1
6. Alex Collins (FMCW) def. Mariah Thomas (WC) 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,1,2,3,5,6)