LANCASTER, Pa. - Franklin & Marshall's women's tennis team opened the 2009-2010 season with a 5-4 win over Moravian Wednesday evening. Meredith Lackey and Katie Ertel each went 2-0 for the Diplomats (1-0). They were matched by Chelsea Ott and Anna Meola who went 2-0 for the Greyhounds (2-2).
Danielle Weiner and Lackey defeated Jami Fein and Kerry McKinley 8-4 in doubles competition. Shannon Littlefield and Ertel also won 8-4 in the third position of doubles.
Lackey remained perfect dropping Jami Fein 2-1 in singles. After losing the first set 4-6, she rallied with a 6-3 second and finished with a 6-2 third set. Julia Fiala lost just three games, defeating Elizabeth Endy 2-0 (6-1, 6-2) in the fourth flight. Ertel picked up her second win of the evening with a 2-0 victory over Brianna Kavanagh. She won the first set 6-4 and took the second 6-3.
The Diplomats return to action September 26 at the ITA Regional Tournament hosted by Mary Washington College.
Franklin & Marshall 5, Moravian 4
1. Meredith Lackey (F&M) def. Jami Fein (MOR) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
2. Chelsea Ott (MOR) def. Danielle Weiner (F&M) 6-0, 6-0
3. Kerry McKinley (MOR) def. Dana Russo (F&M) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-8)
4. Julia Fiala (F&M) def. Elizabeth Endy (MOR) 6-1, 6-2
5. Anna Meola (MOR) def. Shannon Littlefield (F&M) 6-1, 6-4
6. Katie Ertel (F&M) def. Brianna Kavanagh (MOR) 6-4, 6-3
1. Meredith Lackey/Danielle Weiner (F&M) def. Jami Fein/Kerry McKinley (MOR) 8-4
2. Anna Meola/Chelsea Ott (MOR) def. Dana Russo/Victoria Balonik (F&M) 8-0
3. Katie Ertel/Shannon Littlefield (F&M) def. Elizabeth Endy/Alexandra Hay (MOR) 8-4
Franklin & Marshall 1-0