Men's Tennis Improves to 12-5 with 5-2 Win Over Lebanon Valley
LANCASTER, PA - The Franklin & Marshall College men's tennis team improved to 12-5 on the season as the Diplomats defeated Lebanon Valley College 5-2 in non-conference action.
The record marks the first time F&M has garnered 12 wins since the 1999 went 12-4. Overall, the 2004 season marks the 32nd 10+ win season for the program in its 99-year history.
Franklin & Marshall built a 1-0 lead in doubles as the Diplomats took the #1 and #3 matches. In singles, Alex Chester (Jr., Coral Gables, FL/Palmer-Trinity) blanked Ryan Wendell 6-0, 6-0 at #1, while Alex Levy (So., West Windsor, NJ/Lawrenceville) rolled over Chris Keeney 6-2, 6-1.
The Flying Dutchmen got back into the match with wins at #3 and #4, but Alex Sanchez-Sierra (Jr., Tangier, Morocco/American College of Tangier) dropped Stu Hartman 6-4, 4-6, 6-4 at #5 and Ben Michelman (Fr., Severna Park, MD/Severn School) picked up a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Zak Cook at #6 for the 5-2 win.
Historically, the team's 12-5 record under first year head coach Mark Moshos marks the best record under a new coach since the 1940 team went 11-0 under B. Frank Kready. Overall, Kready finished his two-year career at the College with a 21-6 record before being replaced by Wilbur Nissly in the fall of 1942.
Further, it marks the most wins ever recorded by a first year coach in program history bettering the mark of Kready and the modern record of 10 wins set by Jim Phipps in 1993.
Franklin & Marshall (12-5, 6-2 Centennial Conference) will continue the season on April 23-25 at the Centennial Conference Men's Tennis Championships hosted by Haverford College.
F&M 5, LVC 2
(1) Alex Chester (F&M) def. Ryan Wendell (L), 6-0, 6-0
(2) Alex Levy (F&M) def. Chris Keeney (L), 6-2, 6-1
(3) Eric Vargo (L) def. Andrew Mayer (F&M), 4-6, 6-4, 6-3
(4) Andy Platt (L) def. Dan Lindenberg (F&M), 6-4, 4-6 (10-7)
(5) Alex Sanchez-Sierra (F&M) def. Stu Hartman (L), 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
(6) Ben Michelman (F&M) def. Zak Cook (L), 6-2, 6-4
(1) Chester/Lindenberg (F&M) def. Wendell/Hartman (L) 8-6
(2) Vargo/Platt (L) def. Mayer/Michelman (F&M) 8-6
(3) Eric Ellison/Sanchez-Sierra (F&M) def. Keeney/Cook (L) 8-3