Franklin & Marshall Records 4-3 Win Over Dickinson in Men's Tennis
LANCASTER, PA - The Franklin & Marshall College men's tennis team improved to 11-5 on the season and clinched third place in the final Centennial Conference standings as the Diplomats defeated Dickinson College 4-3 in Centennial Conference action.
The win raises the Diplomats to 11 wins for the first time since the 1999 team went 12-4. Overall, it marks the 32nd 10+ win season for the program in its 99-year history.
The Diplomats took control of the match in doubles sweeping all three matches to hold a 1-0 lead and the winning point. Dickinson made up for Franklin & Marshall's strength in doubles by taking the #2, 4 and 5 singles matches as the Red Devils fought back from some early deficits to hang in the match.
At #1 singles, Alex Chester (Jr., Coral Gables, FL/Palmer-Trinity) rolled to a 6-3, 6-1 win over Chris Magel, but Rob Dickinson came back to down Alex Levy (So., West Windsor, NJ/Lawrenceville) at #2.
Andrew Mayer (So., West Chester, PA/West Chester East) came back to defeat Rob Issacs 6-7 (7-5), 6-2, 6-1 at #3 and Chris Beegle countered with a 4-6, 6-4, 6-2 defeat of Dan Lindenberg (Jr., Niskayuna, NY/Niskayuna) at #4 as the team's continued to trade matches.
Ben Michelman (Fr., Severna Park, MD/Severn School) dropped Zack Beck-Goss 6-4, 6-2 at #5 and Dickinson's Mike Pennington handled Alex Sanchez-Sierra (Jr., Tangier, Morocco/American College of Tangier) 6-1, 6-2 at #6 for the 4-3 F&M victory.
Franklin & Marshall (11-5, 6-2 Centennial Conference) will continue the season on April 22 at home versus Lebanon Valley. Match time is set for 3:30 p.m.
F&M 4, Dickinson 3
(1) Alex Chester (F&M) def. Chris Magel (D), 6-3, 6-1
(2) Rob Dickinson (D) def. Alex Levy (F&M), 5-7, 7-6 (7-1), (10-2)
(3) Andrew Mayer (F&M) def. Rob Issacs (D), 6-7 (7-5), 6-2, 6-1
(4) Chris Beegle (D) def. Dan Lindenberg (F&M), 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
(5) Zack Beck-Goss (D) def. Ben Michelman (F&M), 6-4, 6-2
(6) Alex Sanchez-Sierra (F&M) def. Mike Pennington (D), 6-1, 6-2
(1) Chester/Lindenberg (F&M) def. Magel/Eric Schroeder (D) 8-6
(2) Mayer/Michelman (F&M) def. Isaacs/Beegle (D) 9-8 (7-4)
(3) Levy/Sanchez-Sierra (F&M) def. Beck-Goss/Jackson Parmenter 8-6