LANCASTER, PA - The Franklin & Marshall College men's tennis team opened its 2004 Centennial Conference home schedule in a victory as the Diplomats defeated Johns Hopkins University 5-2.
The win, which improves F&M to 2-0 in Centennial Conference play, was decided in singles play as the Blue Jays won two of the three doubles matches.
In singles, the Diplomats rolled to five victories, including four straight at #1-4.
At #1, Alex Chester (Jr., Coral Gables, FL/Palmer-Trinity) outlasted Justin Chan 7-6 (9-7), 6-0 before Alex Levy (So., West Windsor, CT/Lawrenceville School), Andrew Mayer (So., West Chester, PA/East) and Dan Lindenberg (Jr., Niskayuna, NY/Niskayuna) picked up wins at #2, 3 and 4, respectively to clinch the match.
JHU's Nick Kennedy registered Hopkins' only singles win of the day edging Alex Sanchez-Sierra (Jr., Tangier, Morocco/American College of Tangier) 6-4, 6-4 as Ben Michelman (Fr., Severna Park, MD/Severn School) rounded out competition by defeating Aaron Ong 6-3, 7-6 (7-3).
The win snaps a three match-losing streak to Hopkins by the Diplomats as Franklin & Marshall last defeated the Blue Jays in 2000. Historically, F&M is now 35-12 all-time against Hopkins.
Franklin & Marshall will continue the season on March 30 at home versus York College of Pennsylvania. Match time is set for 3:30 p.m.
F&M 5, Johns Hopkins 2
(1) Alex Chester (F&M) def. Justin Chan (J), 7-6 (9-7), 6-0
(2) Alex Levy (F&M) def. Justin Belisario (J), 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
(3) Andrew Mayer (F&M) def. Michael Kelly-Sell (J), 4-6, 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
(4) Dan Lindenberg (F&M) def. Grant Roch (J), 6-1, 7-5
(5) Nick Kennedy (J) def. Alex Sanchez-Sierra (F&M), 6-4, 6-4
(6) Ben Michelman (F&M) def. Aaron Ong (J), 6-3, 7-6 (7-3)
(1) Chester/Lindenberg (F&M) def. Chan/Belisario (J) 8-6
(2) Roch/Kelly-Sell (J) def. Eric Ellison/Michelman (F&M) 8-4
(3) Ong/Chang (J) def. Levy/Sanchez (F&M) 8-6