LANCASTER, PA - The Franklin & Marshall College men's tennis team opened its 2004 home schedule in style downing the Nittany Lions of Pennsylvania State University-Berks Campus by a 7-0 final score.
In doubles, the Diplomats rolled to a pair of wins as Dan Lindenberg (Jr., Niskayuna, NY/Niskayuna) and Alex Chester (Jr., Coral Gables, FL/Palmer-Trinity) defeated Blake Hertzog and Patt Palbian 8-1, while Alex Levy (So., West Windsor, CT/Lawrenceville School) and Alex Sanchez-Sierra (Jr., Tangier, Morocco/American College of Tangier) coasted to an 8-0 win.
In singles, Chester knocked off Hertzog 6-3, 6-0 at #1, Levy defeated Ryan Wise 6-0, 6-2 at #2, Andrew Mayer (So., West Chester, PA/East) handled Palbian 6-3, 6-1 at #3, Sanchez-Sierra downed Jeff Rocker 6-3, 6-0 at #4, Ben Michelman (Fr., Severna Park, MD/Severn School) dropped Jeremy Lapp 6-0, 6-0 at #5 and Mark Watson (Fr., New York, NY/Hyde School-Woodstock) picked up a win by default at #6.
The Diplomats last swept an opponent on April 19, 2003 at McDaniel College as Franklin & Marshall blanked the Green Terror 7-0.
Franklin & Marshall will continue the season on March 27 at home versus Johns Hopkins University. Match time is set for 1:00 p.m.
F&M 7, PSU-Berks 0
(1) Alex Chester (F&M) def. Blake Hertzog (PSU), 6-3, 6-0
(2) Alex Levy (F&M) def. Ryan Wise (PSU), 6-0, 6-2
(3) Andrew Mayer (F&M) def. Patt Palbian (PSU), 6-3, 6-1
(4) Alex Sanchez-Sierra (F&M) def. Jeff Rocker (PSU), 6-3, 6-0
(5) Ben Michelman (F&M) def. Jeremy Lapp (PSU), 6-0, 6-0
(6) Mark Watson (F&M) default
(1) Chester/Lindenberg (F&M) def. Hertzog/Palbian (PSU) 8-1
(2) Levy/Sanchez (F&M) def. Wise/Rocker (PSU) 8-0
(3) Not contested