COLLEGEVILLE, PA - Colin Griggs (So., Randolph, NJ/Newark Academy) went the distance taking Ursinus' Chris Fox to a tiebreaker in the third set for the deciding point as the Franklin & Marshall College men's tennis team knocked off the Bears 4-3 in the Diplomats' Centennial Conference season opener.
In doubles, Ursinus jumped out to an early 1-0 lead as the #2 pair of Fox and Marcus Ressler and the #3 combo of Jeremy Landis and Jason Brown picked up wins.
F&M countered in singles as Alex Chester (Jr., Coral Gables, FL/Palmer-Trinity) rolled to a 6-0, 6-2 win at #1 over Landis before Alex Levy (So., West Windsor, CT/Lawrenceville School) notched a 6-0, 6-0 shutout of Samit Patel at #2.
Ursinus tied the match at #3 as Ben Isser picked off Andrew Mayer (So., West Chester, PA/East) 7-6, 6-3, but Alex Sanchez-Sierra (Jr., Tangier, Morocco/American College of Tangier) dropped Ressler 6-1, 7-5 as F&M retook the lead.
The Bears tied the match at 3-3 with a 7-6, 6-4 win by Brown over Ben Michelman (Fr., Severna Park, MD/Severn School) at #5 to set up Griggs heroics in the #6 match.
Franklin & Marshall will continue the season on March 26 at home versus Penn State-Berks. Match time is set for 3:30 p.m.
F&M 4, Ursinus 3
(1) Alex Chester (F&M) def. Jeremy Landis (U), 6-0, 6-2
(2) Alex Levy (F&M) def. Samit Patel (U), 6-0, 6-0
(3) Ben Isser (U) def. Andrew Mayer (F&M), 7-6, 6-3
(4) Alex Sanchez-Sierra (F&M) def. Marcus Ressler (U), 6-1, 7-5
(5) Jason Brown (U) def. Ben Michelman (F&M), 7-6, 6-4
(6) Colin Griggs (F&M) def. Chris Fox (U), 5-7, 7-5, 7-6
(1) Chester/Lindenberg (F&M) def. Patel/Isser (U) 8-5
(2) Fox/Ressler (U) def. Mayer/Michelman (F&M) 8-6
(3) Landis/Brown (U) def. Griggs/Alston (F&M) 8-4