ORLANDO, Fla. – Franklin & Marshall men's tennis rounded off its spring break trip by splitting a pair of matches against Macalester and Hobart. The Diplomats defeated Macalester 7-2 on Tuesday, before falling to Hobart 5-4 on Wednesday, leaving the Sunshine State with a 1-3 record.
By the Numbers
Tuesday's match with Macalester saw four different Diplomats record wins in both doubles and singles. In doubles, Jack Rothman and Will Samuels combined for an 8-2 decision at No. 2, while Zack Levin and Andrew Pace earned an 8-4 victory at No. 3.
All four of those players went on to win in singles as F&M dropped just one singles match. Inigo Flores got in on the action with a dominant 6-0, 6-3 win at No. 4.
The Diplomats started well again on Wednesday against Hobart, taking three wins out of three doubles matches. Pace and Levin again led the way with an 8-2 trouncing at No. 3.
The Statesmen turned the table in singles play however, taking five out of six singles matches as Flores was the only F&M player to win singles in a 6-4, 6-3 match at No. 4. The five singles wins gave Hobart a 5-4 victory, and handed F&M its third 5-4 loss of the trip.
1. Jack Rothman (FMCM) def. Josh Doyle (MAC) 6-4, 7-6
2. Aidan Tirpack (MAC) def. Isaac Salas (FMCM) 2-6, 6-4, 10-4
3. Zack Levin (FMCM) def. Hardt Bergmann (MAC) 6-3, 4-6, 10-5
4. Inigo Flores (FMCM) def. Matthew Yang (MAC) 6-0, 6-3
5. Will Samuels (FMCM) def. Peter Willenborg (MAC) 6-2, 6-1
6. Andrew Pace (FMCM) def. Ben Wilson (MAC) 6-0, 6-2
1. Jonah Salita (HOB) def. Jack Rothman (FMCM) 6-2, 6-2
2. Jon Atwater (HOB) def. Isaac Salas (FMCM) 6-2, 6-2
3. Alan Dubrovsky (HOB) def. Zack Levin (FMCM) 6-3, 6-2
4. Inigo Flores (FMCM) def. Mike Rusk (HOB) 6-4, 6-3
5. Harry Nichols (HOB) def. Will Samuels (FMCM) 6-4, 6-4
6. Joe Mallon (HOB) def. Andrew Pace (FMCM) 6-2, 7-6 (7-1)
The Diplomats return to action on March 25, hosting Ursinus for their home and conference opener.