NEW HAVEN, Conn.. – Holding a narrow team lead, key wins from Michael Sorochev and Silvio Soom helped Franklin & Marshall's No. 12 men's squash team avenge a late regular season loss to No. 14 Navy, sealing a 6-3 win on Sunday in the Hoehn Cup (B Division) Consolation Final.
The victory wrapped up the Diplomats' season at 9-10 and brought an end to the CSA Team Championships while Navy fell to 21-10.
By the Numbers
Each of the top four spots went to F&M, including Cole Osborne's comeback 3-2 win at the No. 1 spot in the order. Sorochev also battled back from being down 2-1, registering victories in each of his final two games at No. 7.
Only three matchups were won by sweeps, each of which went F&M's way, with the other six contests reaching at least four games.
1. Cole Osborne (F&MM) def. Jack Herold (NAVY) 11-3, 10-12, 8-11, 11-4, 11-9
2. Sean Kenny (F&MM) def. Senen Ubina (NAVY) 11-8, 11-7, 11-3
3. P. Veiga de Almeida (F&MM) def. Bill Kacerqis (NAVY) 11-8, 11-6, 11-9
4. Silvio Soom (F&MM) def. Reed Whitney (NAVY) 9-11, 11-9, 11-2, 11-8
5. Randy Beck (NAVY) def. Kareem Mawla (F&MM) 11-4, 11-9, 12-14, 11-6
6. Dylan Sweeney (NAVY) def. Jackson McCord (F&MM) 12-10, 8-11, 12-10, 11-5
7. Michael Sorochev (F&MM) def. Will Walker (NAVY) 11-8, 7-11, 4-11, 11-5, 11-6
8. Ricardo Machado (F&MM) def. Jamie Kjorlien (NAVY) 11-9, 11-7, 11-8
9. Sam McCartney (NAVY) def. Ishan Advani (F&MM) 13-11, 11-7, 8-11, 11-4
Several Diplomats will return to action on Friday at day one of three at the CSA Individual Championships which are hosted by Chelsea Piers in Stamford, Conn. Information about the draws and match times will be posted on GoDiplomats.com as they become available.